Our Conservative Government has agreed to fund Chelmsford Garden Village as one of 19 new villages around the country to receive funding through the Garden Communities Programme. Chelmsford City has received support and financial backing of £150,000 from our Conservative government for this exciting new development.
The Chelmsford Garden Village will be located to the north-east of Chelmsford and designed to meet long-established Garden Village principles, Chelmsford Garden Village will create around 5,500 new homes, approximately 45,000 sqm of high-tech employment space, and significant areas of new open space and parkland to support the sustainable growth of our city.
Chelmsford Garden Village is already earmarked for development in Chelmsford's Draft Local Plan which was put together by the former Conservative-led City Council, and which is to be adopted later this year. It is a joint project between leading housebuilder Countryside Zest, strategic land promoter Ptarmigan Land and landowners Hanson, Columbia Threadneedle and Channels.
Chelmsford City has been awarded £150,000 initial funding to help progress the design and delivery of the Garden Village and ensure that resources are made available to support this. In addition, extensive support and expertise will be available from Homes England and other government agencies to help overcome any barriers which might affect the delivery of the project. Chelmsford Garden Village is designed to build on the success of the surrounding Beaulieu and Channels developments: they will together deliver in the region of 9,850 homes.
The success of the bid recognises that the planned expansion will be an outstanding example of a green, affordable and well-structure development. Becoming a Garden Community means that:
- Developers will provide key infrastructure for the site, creating a real place and not just a housing estate
- Residents will be able to have their say on the development earlier in the process, before a planning application comes in
The development will meet the Garden Village principles, which include:
- Mixed-tenure homes and housing that is genuinely affordable
- A wide range of local jobs within easy commuting distance of homes
- Beautifully and imaginatively-designed homes with gardens, combining the best of town and country to create healthy communities, and including opportunities to grow food
- Land being used for the benefit of the community
- Strong vision, leadership and community engagement
- Community ownership of land and long-term stewardship of assets
- Development which adds to the natural environment, creating a comprehensive infrastructure of green spaces and aiding biodiversity
- Zero-carbon and energy-positive technology
- Plenty of places to shop, enjoy yourself and play within neighbourhoods that are walkable, vibrant and sociable
Being accepted into the Garden Communities Programme does not mean that Chelmsford Garden Village has formal planning approval. However, this is an important step as it will help Chelmsford City to ensure that the Garden Village offers high-quality, sustainable and affordable homes, supported by the right infrastructure.